Sunday, February 27, 2011

Why am I reading this?

I would have read Anna Karenina a long time ago when I was going through a 19th century Russian Literature phase, but I held back because it is supposed to be a sad story, and I prefer to read books with happy endings (hmmm, why was I interested in Russian literature again?).  I decided to tackle it this winter because it is supposed to be one of the best novels of all time.  In the name of "expanding my mind", I decided to try and get over the sad parts of the story and enjoy the book for the sake of good literature.

I am about a third of the way into the book, and there is just one problem: The plot centers around an adulterous affair and I hate stories about adultery.  I have always felt this way, long before I was ever in a relationship myself.  I can't stand movies or books when the main plot is a love story between two people when one or both of them is in another relationship.  I don't sympathize with the main characters, and therefore I don't like the story, because who likes to read a book or watch a movie when you don't respect the people in it?

Anna Karenina has a wide cast of characters, and so I was hoping that the story of Levin and Kitty would keep me interested even though I was disgusted with Anna and Vronsky.  But in the last chapter I read, Levin found out that Kitty was sick and his response was something to the effect of, "Oh man, that sucks.  Oh well, what can you do?"  Really?  This is the love story that supposed to redeem the book?  So now Kitty is the only character I really care about.  Can she pull me through the rest of the novel? 

I'm not going to give up.  I'm going to try to slog through.  Maybe my interest will reignite.  But it's going to be slow going.  Pretty soon I'm going to have to start reading my book club book for March.  Hopefully I'll finish Anna Karenina by the end of the spring.

Anyway, have you read it?  Did you like it?  Is it worth the effort?

2 comments:

  1. I tried to read A.K. years ago when Oprah was hot for it. I didn't like it either and for all the same reasons you listed, so I kicked it to the curb.

    I recently kicked Ivanhoe to the curb too. Not my style.

    Life's too short to slog through thick and boring literature. Really. There is so much great and interesting lit out there why waste time on lit that don't fit?

    There's nothing more satisfying than finding a classic that fits you like a glove.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lucy - I'm whiling away a cloudy afternoon by reading through your old posts. I totally agree with Lolly's comment. I too love books with happy endings and hate adultery-based stories. I never read A.K. although I did try to struggle through War and Peace when I was much younger. I say write it off, if you haven't already (is that a pun?).
    Confession time: I don't really like Faulkner or Hemingway or any of the heavy big guns of 20th century lit. I like pleasant books, preferably by British authors. AND pretty art. I'm hopelessly un-post-modern. A lot of my reading is really just re-reading of books I love.
    Read what you enjoy is what I say!

    ReplyDelete