Sunday, February 20, 2011

Temptation

Please Note: Homemade cookies are not good for diets.

I recently decided that I have been consuming too much refined sugar. I believe it has exacerbated some of my health issues, so purely for health reasons, I decided to go on a diet (e.g. I'm not really looking to lose weight, just to be healthier). I decided to limit my refined sugar intake by limiting myself to one dessert per day.

This is quite a challenge for me. I had gotten in the habit of eating a sweet roll in the morning, having some hot chocolate in the afternoon, maybe a cookie or three before dinner, and an ice cream sundae before bed. Not to mention that I really like pancakes and golden grahams.

It was really over the top, so cutting back is a good thing. I've been pretty successful so far, and I've had some rewards for my success. I notice that I am sleeping better at night and I've even lost a few pounds, as a bonus. However, I hadn't had a chance to make cookies since I went on my diet...until Friday.

I have discovered it is nearly impossible to eat only one serving of homemade chocolate chip cookies in a day. There they are...so delicious and tempting. And you don't want them to get stale and go to waste, right?

I think I'll keep the rest of them in the freezer and only unfreeze one serving at a time, keeping the cookie jar empty. Hopefully this will help me get back on track.

But don't they look delicious?

3 comments:

  1. I actually drooled a little when I saw that cookie! And I won't even mention how delicious frozen cookies are...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally hear you - I started giving up all desserts for lent a couple years ago, and I think it's going to to be an annual tradition. I don't have a lot of vices, but sweets is definitely a big one for me... I've found (aside from total prohibition) it works best if I focus on getting in all the healthy food I know I need to eat rather than on just denying myself the dessert. As in "well, yes, you can have that cookie... after we finish our 11 servings of vegetables! let's go!" ;)

    good luck!

    Calley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Calley, usually a handful of almonds or walnuts will fill me up enough so that I can resist the urge to snack on cookies.

    ReplyDelete