Friday, March 4, 2011

Chocolate is a need


I had friends come over on Saturday, so I used it as an excuse to make some brownies.  These are blonde brownies with a thick chocolate frosting.

Chocolate Chunk Butter Walnut Bars
(Adapted from a recipe from Hersey's Chocolate Lover's Cookbook)

1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup finely chopped or purreed walnuts
2 cups Hershey's Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chunks
1/2 to 1 cup coarsley chopped walnuts


1.  Heat oven to 350.  Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan.  In large mixer bowl, stir together butter, brown sugar, egg yolk, and vanilla; blend in flour and salt.  Add purreed walnuts.  Press mixture onto bottom of prepared pan.

2.  Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned.

3.  Remove from oven; immediately sprinkle chocolate chunks on crust.  Let stand until softened, about 5 minutes; spread evenly over crust.  Sprinkle walnuts over top.  Cool completely in pan on wire rack.  Cut into bars.  About 36 bars.

I was unprepared for how delicious these brownies would be.  The layer of chocolate on the top was totally decadent, and the hint of walnuts in the crust really enhanced to chocolate experience.  They are like chocolate chip cookies, only better.  We only ate about a third of the pan with my friends on Saturday, so my kids and I have been enjoying them all week.  But sadly they are gone, now.  It's probably for the best; they were so rich.

2 comments:

  1. Those look so good! I am just doing some baking to mail to my offspring and if I wasn't halfway through baking cookies, I would make your brownies instead.

    ReplyDelete