Friday, February 18, 2011

A Night Out

Last night I went out to a movie with one of my girlfriends.  We met first at Cafe Latte in St. Paul for a piece of chocolate cake, and then we went to The King's Speech at the Highland Theater.  I don't go out in the evenings very often.  For some reason I am very reluctant to get a babysitter for my kids so that my husband and I can go out, and I feel guilty leaving him alone with the kids so I can go out by myself. 



My friend Claire and I always see eachother with the kids.  We have known eachother since our oldest children were infants, and we've tried to make a regular playdate every month.  This month we had a disasterous trip to the Minnesota Zoo.  We didn't know that it was "French Day" and there were about 1500 teenagers at the zoo.  The paths were totally congested and it was near impossible to get around with the strollers, much less keep track of three toddlers in the crowds.  We finally plopped ourselves down at a table in the cafeteria, looked at eachother and decided it was time for us to meet without the kids.

We had a lovely evening.  We realized that there was so much that we didn't know about eachother because there are so many things that you can't say in front of the kids.  And when they are around they tend to dominate the conversation.  So we had a nice time catching eachother up on the other aspects of our lives, and then we went to the movie.

I'm so glad that I was able to go out.  And the best part is that we get to go back for free because there was a mistake when they changed reels.  We watched commercials for ten minutes in the middle of the film, so we got free passes to visit again.  I wonder what will be playing next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment