Thursday, February 3, 2011

Gâteau Breton

I'm hosting book club tonight for the first time.  I am going to be serving gâteau breton, which is basically a French pound cake.  I've had the recipe since I was a teenager.  I bought The Global Gourmet cookbook after attending Lac du Bois, the Concordia French Language Camp in Northern Minnesota.  The Global Gourmet is a compilation of recipes from all the Concordia language camps.  I've treasured the book since then as a goldmine of ethnic cuisine from around the world.  Here is the recipe:

"Gâteau Breton
From the French Village and the province for which it is named, comes a simple, buttery cake...

1 cup butter, softened
1 1/4 cups sugar
6 egg yolks
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

Heat oven to 375.  Grease 8-inch round cake pan.  Cream butter and sugar; beat until fluffy.  Beat in egg yolks until mixture is very pale and fluffy.  Stir in flour.  Pour into greased pan.  Smooth top carefully; then run a large tined fork around the cake in a series of concentric circles.  Bake about 40 minutes.
8 servings."

As you see, it's a ridiculously simple recipe.  You just have to pretend not to notice how much cholesterol must be in the recipe with all those eggs.

My finished Gateau Breton

No comments:

Post a Comment