Thursday, February 24, 2011

Compulsive Viewing

On Monday evening my husband fell asleep on the couch a little after nine.  I decided to take the opportunity to watch a "chick flick", which I take to mean any kind of movie that I can't get my husband to watch with me. Surfing through Netflix on-demand, I found Downtown Abbey, a BBC series that aired on PBS in January.  I had heard that it was good, so I played it.

It's the story of a rich, noble, English family and their servants just before WWI.  The main story is that the heir to the family's wealth and title dies, and the next in line to inherit is a third cousin who makes his living as a lawyer.  The children in the family are all female and can't inherit...but maybe one of them could marry the new heir? 

I watched two episodes that night, and I was totally hooked.  I thought about it all day the next day, and I was thrilled when my husband went to bed early that night so that I could stay up and watch it.  I'm usually in bed no later that 10:30, but I stayed up until nearly 1:00 so that I could watch one episode after another.  And then I couldn't sleep at all that night because I was thinking it.  It was like being engrossed in a really good book, except it's a lot harder to watch a show on the sly than to sneak a few pages of a book here and there. 

There are only seven episodes in the series, so I decided to try and finish it on Wednesday.  I watched an episode and a half during my kids' naptime, snuck the last half-episode in before dinner while my kids watched a show on the computer, and finally was able to finish the series after they went to bed that night.

Deep breath.  It's over.  And now what?  I get to contemplate the production for at least another year before the next season makes it to Netflix. 

Spoiler Alert
And here's what I think:  It was a very compelling story.  I really enjoyed the servants' characters and the subplots involving the staff.  I felt that most of the characters in the story were very believable and even likeable--which is not often the case in shows and literature that portray this period in England.  But I was disappointed that the female lead was not a very nice person.  As the series progressed, she seemed to grow and develop some compassion, but her progress is ruined by her rivalry with her sister and her ability to be influenced by a money-grubbing aunt.  I hope she continues to grow in the next season, because I can't stand to watch a show or read a book whose main character I disrespect (more on this tomorrow).

Anyway, it's definately worth watching, if you have netflix.  I'd just give yourself some time so you can get through the series in weekend.

3 comments:

  1. Not reading the spoiler. NOT reading the spoiler....I am not! LOL.

    A friend just recommended this to me and I watched the very first episode. I may be hooked. I am not sure yet. I need to watch a few more. Brendan Coyle makes it that much more enticing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost never watch TV, but got hooked too when I visited a friend who was a fan. I thought it was a really well-told story, with good compelling characters. Better than that, very smart and usually sensible characters that I respected (mostly). But, I thought it suffered from being a TV series, particularly towards the end - there were too many sub-plots that were briefly picked up then dropped again. But, I'll totally watch season 2 ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the spoiler alert! I averted my eyes. Thanks also for recommending this. I'm always on the lookout for good British TV / movies. I'll see if the library system has it.
    My husband will watch chick flicks with me. He usually admits that the movies I pick are pretty good. But that doesn't stop him from liking movies that are built around car chases and explosions and comic book/video game heroes.
    Oh well. We must celebrate our differences I guess. :)

    ReplyDelete