Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A Fond Farewell

I am not ashamed to say that I am thoroughly addicted to chocolate.  I require at least one serving per day, usually in the form of hot chocolate in the mid afternoon.  I often crave it again shortly after dinner, and I love to indulge again after the kids go to bed. 

But this is it.  Today is Mardi Gras and tomorrow I'm giving up chocolate for 40 days.  I began celebrating Mardi Gras a little early this year.  I was craving chocolate cake over the weekend, so I went to Byerly's (our local upscale grocery store) to get a piece.  To my dismay, they didn't have any slices of chocolate cake with chocolate frosting (what's the point if it doesn't have chocolate frosting?)  They did, however, have a ten inch chocolate cake with chocolate frosting....a whole cake?  Isn't that a little much?  My husband had a friend over, and I figured I could share it with my kids until Tuesday. 

It worked out pretty well, and I had the last piece this evening.  Rich and sweet and chocolatey.  The perfect send-off for my metaphorical journey into the dessert.  If only Jesus had it this easy.

1 comment:

  1. I wish you strength on your Lent! As long as it's not in the house, the chocolate withdrawal symptoms will hopefully be minimal.

    ReplyDelete