Tuesday, March 15, 2011

A good idea

Sometimes it is so hard to listen to your mother.  I like to do things one way, and it is so difficult to heed advice that counters my set way of doing things.  My mom has been trying to get me to freeze my cookie dough for quite a while now.  She says that if you roll it onto parchment paper in small quantities, then you can thaw and cook just one tray at a time.  This ensures that you are always eating fresh cookies.  Plus if you are going to have guests, you can easily whip up a fresh batch. 

I put off following her advice for the longest time because I liked my system of making the whole batch of cookies, putting just a few in my cookie jar and then freezing the rest.  When I empty the cookie jar, I put a few more in there.  The last few times I have done this, I was unsatisfied with the result.  The frozen cookies seemed just a little bit stale, and if I take them directly out of the freezer and heat them up in the microwave, they cook unevenly and sometimes even burn in the middle.

So I'm trying it my mother's way.  It works particularly well with Sugar cookies, because they are so versatile.  If I want to roll them out and cut them with cookie cutters, I can do that easily with just one batch of cookies.  So there you go, mom.  As usual, I am doing it your way in the end.

Sugar Cookie Dough prepared for freezing
(I didn't have any parchment paper, but I figured tin foil would work just as well)

1 comment:

  1. I am sure that your mother is absolutely right, but in my experience, even slightly stale homemade cookies are pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete