Thursday, July 19, 2012

Brew it!

Dear coffee shops of the world,

Your chai tea lattes suck.  Really, this includes all of you.  Why do you think we want chai flavored syrup in milk?  Why not call it a chai milk steamer?  It's too sweet.  It's too milky.  When I drink tea, I expect there to be brewed tea  in my cup.  Ok fine, I have been to one or two independent coffee shops where they brewed there own chai, but honestly, I wasn't impressed.  Why spend the five bucks?  I make better chai tea at home. 

Here's my recipe. 

3/4 cup brewed black tea
1/4 cup milk (for richer tea, use whole milk or cream)
2 tbs chai flavoring (You can use chai concentrate or chai syrup.  I've tried different brands, and I don't think it matters which one you use)

See how simple it is?  And the nice thing is, your patrons will actually have some caffeine in their drink.  What a concept.

2 comments:

  1. Lucy! I was just thinking about you yesterday, and wondering how you were. Nice to see you back. How's the weather in MN? (As dreadful as it's been in Wis?)

    My sister-in-law makes her own chai from scratch - it involves simmering spices and things on the stovetop. I thought I didn't like chai, but hers was amazing. I think yours would be too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Sorry about my extended absence. I went back to work this year, and between work and kids, I had to take a leave of absence from blogging.

    Weather has been very hot and muggy, as you probably expected. But at least it's not dry and cold, right?

    I think that the simmering method is actually the correct and traditional way to make Chai. Also, I've heard that it's better with yak's milk. But you have to work with the materials you have, right?

    ReplyDelete